You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-05 09:50:53

mts

Hello, hello!

I'm mts.  I've spent the last year or so (on and off again) on AAAT.  I never registered because I sometimes like to wear jeans (from the Gap no less!!!), chuck taylors, and rainbow flip flops alongside my OCBD's, polo shirts, and seersucker shorts.  I live in sunny SoCal where I am a grad student (seminary).  Anyway, I have loved classic American style for years, but you all know how hard it is to find anyone interested in occasionally talking about clothes, and so I am glad to find a place that loves the style I do and is okay with an occasional t-shirt!

I am looking forward to getting to know everyone!

mts

#2 2008-09-05 09:55:25

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Re: Hello, hello!

Welcome aboard!

Make this site your own.

#3 2008-09-06 06:49:09

Matt
Ivy Original.

Absolutely! Welcome aboard.

Pick out what you like, and just be yourself.

This forum will help you decide exactly what works for you, by exposing you to a lot of different ideas.

When you graduate from the seminary, there will probably be a lot of people looking to you for guidance. Even the most unsophisticated can usually spot a phony.

The ideas you adopt now, will help you get past caring much about your image, and let you concentrate on what you offer from the inside.

In addition, we will all benefit from your ideas. Welcome, indeed.

#4 2008-09-06 06:53:49

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

^ I really like that, Matt.

Linking this style to real integrity.

No 'costumes' here.

Best -

James

#5 2008-09-06 09:59:52

mts

Thank you all for your kind words!  I think a big part of seminary is identity formation.  And although some might call it shallow, the truth is that the way we dress says an awful lot about us.  I think it is especially important for us younger guys who want to be taken seriously.  After all, a 60 year old gentleman who has attended church his entire life will probably not respond well to a sermon by a 25 year old dressed like a slob! 

Again, thanks for the welcome!

#6 2008-09-06 23:31:59

captainpreppy

I assume from your latter comment you belong to a demonination where the ministers do not preach wearing ecclesiastical vestments. I have the impression that they have become not uncommon in a number of the "mainline" Protestant demoninations where formerly they were shunned.

Insofar as I have any religious allegiances, it is with traditionalist high-church Anglicans, the sort not affiliated with the main Episcopal church, so ecclesiatical fashions are strictly limited to stuff like albs and chasubles.

#7 2008-09-07 22:23:51

mts

I am Presbyterian.  Some of the more traditional Presbyterian churches (or more traditional services) still wear robes.  Since I am not ordained yet, I don't wear robes, although I am up front at some point pretty much every Sunday.  Because our specific church is quite casual, my boss (the senior pastor) doesn't wear robes either except for weddings and funerals.  I think if he wore a suit he would probably be over-dressed for our congregation!  I'm in San Diego, which is a very casual town.  If I wear a button down shirt and tuck it in, then I am more than adequately dressed.  Perhaps this is just another side-effect of the casualization of society, from business casual to airline casual to eating-out casual.

Board footer