You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-28 03:06:00

jesmond
Ivy Genius

WW2Impressions USMC Boondockers

I was after a pair of WW2impressions USMC boondockers for ages.I`ve always liked their cool, pared down styling.I know that a few people on the forum had expressed a curiosity about these boots. I`m gonna post pics of them below.I`ve worn mine twice now (hence a slight scuff mark at the front of one of the boots).

WW2Impressions.com is a company that sells what are reputed to be very close reproductions of authentic second world war military kit.It`s always  seem`d to me that the type of buyer who usually purchases their repro stuff has the type of obsession for accuracy  of details that is matched only by the Japanese at their most zealous...(!)

These boots are sometimes also referred to as `The Great Escape` boots although there appears to be online debate about wether ex-marine McQueen wore Roughout boots or USMC boondockers , along with his sixties style ivy rig (cut down sweat and very slim chinos) in the eponymous movie.

I really haven`t looked into the history of these boots (it`s ultimately their aesthetic styling i`m attracted to) but i believe from what 1966 has written on here that these boondocker boots were still general issue military kit at least as far as the Korean war. I suppose i like to imagine there is the possibility that they might have been purchased by US ivy students of the time as cool and inexpensive `army surplus` footwear.

Wether this is the case or not i really don`t know but in all honesty i suppose it doesn`t really matter.Russell Street likened these some while back to boxer style boots and i can really see where he was coming from.They do look quite slouchy with that taper and with the really pared down styling.I do think that these boots have something of a simple, classic  old-school `ivy`style vibe about them.I believe that they may be made by an old American company called `Corcoran`(?) although i may be wrong...

They come with a tag which says ..

Made in USA,

*Handcrafted in the Allegheny Mountains of Pennsylvania where hunting, hiking and outdoor work are a way of life.

*Genuine `Goodyear Welt` construction providing comfort and durability.

*Leathers of enduring quality and character from America`s heartland.

* `Comfort you can feel` and `quality you can rely on`.

The sole of the boot seems to be a very welcome concession to 21st Century US working boot footwear construction with it`s neoprene oil-resistant, oil-proof sole.

I like these  for their manly elegance and think them a very handsome, ingeniously and uncommonly simplistic , beautifully pared down boot.

I think i`ll wear mine with a white Hanes beefy t under a black sheep dark grey shawl cardigan with slim tapered needlecord jeans.I like these with G9`s and think that they`d look great with a white t under a cashmere v neck, or with a nice solid coloured ocbd shirt, or indeed under ANY really pared down kit .

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/586_jj_110.jpg

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/586_jj_111.jpg

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/586_jj_115.jpg

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/586_jj_118.jpg

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/586_jj_112.jpg

Well, I like em anyway...!

#2 2009-02-28 04:57:55

1,966% Ivy

Re: WW2Impressions USMC Boondockers

They look even better than I expected from looking at the pictures on their site J.
I don't know much about their history either, but I know I've liked these boots since I first encountered them on market stalls as a teenager.

"Manly elegance" - you summed it up there.  To me these look as sleek as a utilitarian boot gets, none of that plumpness you see with most work- or military boots. I love the shape of the toes. They have shoe-like qualities almost... partly covered by trousers you could mistake them for a "dirty buck" with the 360 welt and the contrast stitching.

Great looking boots J, I might take the plunge myself at some point. I just enjoyed half an hour on their maze-like site and there's all kinds of items I can see myself incoporating in the wardrobe. This "Jeepcap" for instance.

http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/images/jeepcap1.jpg

Goes to show there's more to military wear than khakis. Nice one.

38S | 15/32 | 32/28 | US 8.5D/UK 8E

It is a pleasure to be able to quote lines to fit any occasion. ~ Abraham Lincoln

#3 2009-02-28 07:01:42

Fred

How is the sizing?  They look great, I have been thinking about getting a pair for a while now myself....

#4 2009-02-28 08:06:02

Decline & Fall
Ivyist At Large

jesmond wrote:

And so you should. Those are beautiful. Thanks for the great pics and write-up.

"I like bars just after they open in the evening. When the air inside is still cool and clean and everything is shiny. The first quiet drink of the evening in a quiet bar-that's wonderful."
— Raymond Chandler

#5 2009-02-28 09:40:22

jesmond
Ivy Genius

1966 wrote:

They look even better than I expected from looking at the pictures on their site J.
I don't know much about their history either, but I know I've liked these boots since I first encountered them on market stalls as a teenager.

"Manly elegance" - you summed it up there.  To me these look as sleek as a utilitarian boot gets, none of that plumpness you see with most work- or military boots. I love the shape of the toes. They have shoe-like qualities almost... partly covered by trousers you could mistake them for a "dirty buck" with the 360 welt and the contrast stitching.

Great looking boots J, I might take the plunge myself at some point. I just enjoyed half an hour on their maze-like site and there's all kinds of items I can see myself incoporating in the wardrobe. This "Jeepcap" for instance.

http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/images/jeepcap1.jpg

Goes to show there's more to military wear than khakis. Nice one.

Thank you very much 1966. I do think these boots are a bit special.

I know that you and a few other people have been very interested in these boots for quite awhile now.(Russell, Fred, Chris H. are just a few i can remember).I thought it would be good to post some pics so people would know and see what they were really getting.

All this seems quite timely since NSB recently expressed an interest about checking out military repro chinos from ww2impressions or some of those other current US military repro companies.

I do think that these boots are beautifully classic and they really seem  like a breath of fresh air to me after seeing so much of the ugly, over-styled  (and often poorly made) fashionista stuff that we see everywhere and wherever we look nowadays.

I think that these very small US based military reproduction sites could be great for classic, pared down and quality utilitarian stuff which seems to be primarily made with the intention of being historically accurate rather than anything else and rather than the other typical pre-occupations of so many other clothing and footwear manufacturers today.

There seems to be a pride, passion and an integrity to the items that some of these companies make and indeed to what they are currently doing and trying to do.I like to think that they perhaps seem to have  a passion for getting it right and for not compromising from their own exacting standards and their own vision. I think that`s admirable.

Luckily for us it is perhaps often those who may be deem`d the nerds,  the weekend war games enthusiasts and indeed the war nuts who are the bread and butter for these companies business.I`m sure that a fashion name who tried to reproduce a similar type of classic kit , made to the same exacting processes would really charge a premium for such an endeavour.

Alot of this old-school stuff was by it`s nature very utilitarian, pared down and functional and certainly didn`t have one eye on `fashion`. Stuff was better made back in the day, too.

As such then i think some select items could potentially be great to throw into the wider mix for that interesting , manly and rougher edged (ivy) style .

#6 2009-02-28 09:54:54

jesmond
Ivy Genius

Fred wrote:

How is the sizing?  They look great, I have been thinking about getting a pair for a while now myself....

Hi Fred!

I hope that you are very well.

Yes, i know that you`ve been interested in these yourself for quite awhile now.I did think that you might like the pics...

I`ve always been a size 9.5 UK and was lead to believe that the US equivalent for me should be 10.5 US.

However, after buying numerous imported US shoes and boots i`ve personally found that a few pairs of size 10.5 US shoes and boots have sometimes been just a little restrictive across  the arch of my foot area.

I can wear size 10.5 but i now buy size 11 and find this size more comfortable.So, yeah i bought the US size 11`s and they seem to me to be a true size 11, and are perfect.

I hope that this helps...

All the best,

J.

Last edited by jesmond (2009-02-28 09:58:25)

#7 2009-02-28 09:56:54

jesmond
Ivy Genius

Decline & Fall wrote:

jesmond wrote:

And so you should. Those are beautiful. Thanks for the great pics and write-up.

Thank you very much D&F!

It was a pleasure to post the pics.I DO think these are great.

All the best,

J.

#8 2009-02-28 11:46:55

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Just so hip.

Thanks for sharing.

#9 2009-02-28 11:58:32

jesmond
Ivy Genius

^ Thank you, Russ.

#10 2009-02-28 13:53:36

1,966% Ivy

Yes footwear like this operates outside of the realm of fashion doesn't it Jesmond. Utilitarian in origin, these are now reproduced for re-enactment purposes... it's costume attire if you like. I love stuff that escapes fashion. That's why I'd prefer these over the Buzz Rickson editions we discussed earlier - those may be reproduced with painstaking accuracy and are perhaps even better made, yet the whole packaging/marketing bruhaha that surrounds them and the resulting price somehow spoils it for me. The boots you bought are not only pared down in appearance, but also in provenance, because they cut the crap producing and marketing them. Which makes them more authentic in a way than the otaku Japanese efforts. No BS here.

First and foremost I simply love how they look, but all these notions that surround them make them even more enjoyable I guess.

Last edited by 1966 (2009-02-28 16:17:13)

It is a pleasure to be able to quote lines to fit any occasion. ~ Abraham Lincoln

#11 2009-03-01 01:19:36

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

^ That really sums up the ideal for me too. That's why (although I wear them) I'm never quite happy with Bills & BD Baggies as brands.

#12 2009-03-01 02:57:11

1,966% Ivy

I meant Toys McCoy where I said Buzz Rickson.

I'm the same Uncle Russ - I only avoid the marketed goods if I can, not by principle... here I am wearing my pricey McCoy sweat but I'd rather they were the same quality garment at $40 without the label.

#13 2009-03-01 03:10:50

jesmond
Ivy Genius

1966 wrote:

Yes footwear like this operates outside of the realm of fashion doesn't it Jesmond. Utilitarian in origin, these are now reproduced for re-enactment purposes... it's costume attire if you like. I love stuff that escapes fashion. That's why I'd prefer these over the Buzz Rickson editions we discussed earlier - those may be reproduced with painstaking accuracy and are perhaps even better made, yet the whole packaging/marketing bruhaha that surrounds them and the resulting price somehow spoils it for me. The boots you bought are not only pared down in appearance, but also in provenance, because they cut the crap producing and marketing them. Which makes them more authentic in a way than the otaku Japanese efforts. No BS here.

First and foremost I simply love how they look, but all these notions that surround them make them even more enjoyable I guess.

I couldn`t have put it better, 1966...

Thank you.

#14 2009-03-01 03:20:50

1,966% Ivy

^ Was just confirming your own observations J.

After I wrote these boots resemble Dirty Bucks in a way, I came across these Yuketen Plain Toe shoes. The perfect bridge between Boondockers and Bucks - note the brick red sole:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2j421ra.jpg

Last edited by 1966 (2009-03-01 03:34:29)

#15 2009-03-01 03:26:56

1,966% Ivy

(Just going through my pictures here) in the same vein, some great crepe soled Alden boots, albeit an expensive Japanese conception:

http://i44.tinypic.com/etz1ty.jpg

#16 2009-03-01 03:32:59

1,966% Ivy

Turns out both Rickson and McCoy did Boondockers.

Toys McCoy:

http://image.www.rakuten.co.jp/porkys/img10486628514.jpeg

Buzz Rickson:

http://www.indigofan.com/indigofan/uploaded_images/DSC_0429-791042.JPG

You know what J - I really think your boots are better looking than these "accurate" efforts... not that I'm saying yours were intended to be like the Great Escape boots, there seem to be some differences.
Where yours have that elegance to them these Japanese ones look a bit goofy to my eyes. It's in the toes, mainly.

Last edited by 1966 (2009-03-01 03:42:53)

#17 2009-10-21 07:40:17

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

http://www.lostbattalions.com/us/USMC/U … ckers.html

http://www.atthefront.com/us_boots_usmc.htm

just watched the Great Escape once again on Monday... must have been the 300th time...

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#18 2009-10-21 10:12:31

Beatnik

If you watch it 310 times Hank, he makes it over the wire...
Great thread by the way. Better than fuckin' slippers...

#19 2009-10-21 10:31:32

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Beatnik wrote:

Great thread by the way..

That's why I bumped it...

I'm afraid the boots I linked won't be half as good as brother Jesmond's... I still don't own any...

Where did he order his pair? WWII Impressions?

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#20 2009-10-21 11:59:50

The Ace Face

I'm thinking of checking out these officer trousers, as well as the officer shoes mentioned on the great American shoe thread:
http://historypreservation.com/hpassoci … ing5_2.php

Draped and sculpted hep cat suit - as worn by His Royal Hepness, Cab Calloway

#21 2009-10-22 06:28:28

Beatnik

It's all great stuff Ace but very, I mean very, expensive...

#22 2009-10-22 06:34:40

Natural Sole Brother
Ivy, naturally.

The WWII Impressions stuff is aimed mainly at re-enactors, so price and quality are 'competitive'. The boots in jesmond's pics look great though: I agree they appear far nicer than more painstakingly authentic reproductions. I've often wondered if this wouldn't be a good source for khakis: a version of the real thing but not priced at the exorbitant rates of a Buzz Rickson. After all these were utilitarian, mass produced goods designed and made for function not fashion.

#23 2009-10-22 13:02:01

The Ace Face

Buzz Rickson, is certainly expensive. I'm tempted, very tempted. Good job you can't but directly on line, otherwise those officer shoes would already be on the way. Plus the 'pink' officers pants.  I will see how this desire develops over several drinks.....

Draped and sculpted hep cat suit - as worn by His Royal Hepness, Cab Calloway

#24 2009-10-22 13:19:48

1,966% Ivy

"Pinks" - original ones -  can still be found on the old 'bay. Can't remember seeing them mentioned on here... I haven't got a pair but they have crossed my mind many times over the years.

#25 2009-10-26 03:27:06

Daniele

Cool boots, and interesting website! Due to some past posts, by now you all know about my interest for  military uniforms ;-)
I use these, Clarks Desert Mali, bought in 2001 in London. Usually with off-white sta-prest and Barbour International for scooter riding or with brown parallels, black turtleneck, sack and tan raincoat. Smart casual.

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/cl/clarks-originals-clarks-desert-mali.jpg

Last edited by Daniele (2009-10-26 03:29:01)

Board footer