You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-02 11:12:38

Will

Darren Beaman

Has anyone been in recent contact with Beaman? He's not responding to emails or voicemails. Not completely unusual, but a concern...

Last edited by Will (2006-08-02 11:45:19)

Will's thoughts on classic men's clothing
http://www.asuitablewardrobe.net/

#2 2006-08-02 11:42:26

arenn

Re: Darren Beaman

I have not been able to reach Darren for about two months.  As you say, he does not respond to voice mail or email.    Actually, he rarely responds to calls or email.  In the past, I've just made repeated calls until he answers.  I don't believe anyone has been able to reach him recently, however. 

One of the times I called, a few weeks ago, in advance of a trip over to London, a woman answered the phone and said that Darren had been having heart trouble.  But that's all I've heard.  I talked with the staff at Scabal (5 minutes from where I work in Soho on my London trips and where Darren does fittings), and they had not seen in him in 3-4 weeks, in contrast with the normal several appearances per week.  But I was told that to the best of their knowledge, Darren was "still among the living".  I don't believe Chuck Franke was able to reach him either.

I will be back in London next week and I'll try again to track him down.  Darren has a number of vague health problems he's never described completely.  He has also, unfortunately, been known to drop off the face of the earth in the past.  I believe it also happened last year about this time.

I would expect him to surface at some point.

I just left him a message on his mobile.  The fact that his mailbox isn't full would indicate that somebody is checking the messages at least.

#3 2006-08-02 12:53:14

Cruz Diez

I have delayed my trip to London waiting for him to resurface. I know one customer of his who lives near London has not been able to reach him either and got a similar answer from Scabal. I hope he is doing well and that the witch hunt didn't cause him much trouble.

#4 2006-08-02 13:22:47

Will

Witch hunt?

#5 2006-08-02 13:44:06

arenn

Will, Darren had a similar episode last summer that resulted in a major blow-up on Ask Andy and elsewhere.  There was certainly an aspect of politics in much of the reaction, and certain people did have an axe to grind against Darren.  However, it wasn't a witch hunt in the classic sense.  Darren was in fact incommunicado for an extended period of time, which justifiably alarmed anyone who had a suit in progress and was trying to schedule a fitting.  He also cancelled US visits on short notice which doubtless caused people grief.

Darren for his part came back, apologized, and caught back up on his work.  He is the first to admit that he is not an operational businessman.  So blocking and tackling things like keeping up with customers is not his strong suit.  And I believe the root of his problem was taking on so much new business, probably as a result of forums like this, that he simply got buried under the load and was unable to keep up with the committments, a not uncommon occurence for a small business.  Darren is, after all, basically a one man shop.

While he no doubt lost some incremental business as a result, I believe most of his existing customers stood by him during that time.  Not least of which is because Darren is a charming and nice guy and people really want him to succeed. Plus, he made quality suits for a very reasonable price let us not forget, and has been a great educational presence on these boards as well.

Still, I find it difficult to believe that, whatever is happening in his life, he can't find someone who can return phone calls to customers.  Given that he has no physical shop and doesn't have a long track record in business, preserving the trust of his customers is paramount.  Nothing compromises that more than a lack of communication.  I think people are willing to be very understanding and cut some slack to businesses who are having delivery problems.  I certainly am.  But it requires frequent and forthright communications to make it happen.

I hope Darren is able to come back quickly, return some calls, and get back on track with customers before this becomes another incident.  I also hope whatever is wrong with him, that he's able to make a speedy recovery as well.

Last edited by arenn (2006-08-02 13:45:07)

#6 2006-08-02 13:59:03

Will

Oh, yes, I knew about last summer. That's why I am not surprised that he's periodically hard to reach.

I like his work, particularly the cut of the trousers, and he is a very likeable guy. But I paid for a couple of completed suits in April and they have not been sent to me yet. In the meantime I placed an order with another tailor for four suits that would have been his if someone had been minding the administrative aspects of his business.

The communication vacuum is ridiculously easy to fix. For a relatively small expense in the scheme of things he could have an administrator shp suits and report status to customers and his business would benefit from it.

#7 2006-08-02 18:48:17

passingtime

I managed to get hold of Darren today. He is in the middle of moving house so things are a bit difficult. The good news is that he has replaced his laptop and should be accessable by email again although he says it may take a day or two to get an answer. For those awaiting his visit to the US; the dates should be posted on his web site shortly but it is looking like the second half of the month subject to flights.

I think doing all the work himself has turned out to be a bigger job than he first thought as some of the tailors who were doing work for him promptly demoted his jobs to the bottom of their pile since they were getting no further business. Consequently he had to take back a lot of work that he had expected to have sewn by others but the backlog is just about cleared now. This is good news since I have just ordered another two suits.

#8 2006-08-22 15:34:50

jsprowls9

Moving house puts a serious crunch in your business plans if your studio is based at your home. I understand this all too well. I moved from FL to CO; and, am on my 3rd month of getting situated. Fortunately, my FL book of business was small, so I was able to place each of my clients with comparable tailors/seamstresses; but, I still have to find a home for their patterns.

Amidst the rukkus in the studio - which, is mostly developing educational material and preparing for jury with several guilds - I'm also scoping out the market in Denver, meeting with Chamber of Commerce, finalizing licenses, meeting w/ banks, acquiring equipment, etc. The beaureaucracy aspect is the most time-consuming.

With luck, I'll be able to take a sabbatical, soon. Maybe I should ask Darren if he needs or wants assistance.

#9 2006-08-29 07:22:55

Cruz Diez

It's been 3 weeks and I still haven't heard from Darren. Anyone here knows how's he doing?

Board footer