You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-18 03:36:10

Horace

What killed the Mens' Shops?

Incroyable's post of I. Magnin got me thinking of shops of old.  I wonder if these old department stores and men's shops didn't co-exist together for a long time, and if there wasn't something else besides the "big box" retailers that killed off the old small ndependent shops and the regional department stores like I. Magnin.  (After all, Nordstrom's has grown to quite a large size -- even though its quality isn't as good as it once was, I think).  Anyway, there was a time when the grand old department stores and the small little shops (like Chipp) existed together just fine.  So what has killed them both?  The appearance of the "mall"?  The destruction of small town culture where one might've found your little men's shops?  Stratification in suburbs where one would choose to go to a suburban mall rather than wait and go "into the City" to do department store shopping?

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#2 2006-08-18 03:49:36

Incroyable

Re: What killed the Mens' Shops?

Ironically, even today's so-called men's shops are derivative chain retailers like the mediocre Patrick James. I remember there were various Patrick James stores in the old '60s Town & Country "malls", which all got torn down during the Dot Com period to build faux-Tuscan shopping arcades filled with Guccis, Escadas, trendy cafes, etc.

I feel we really have to blame The Mall as well as the lowering of general public taste for the death of fine quality small stores like the late Sulka or the late Bonwit Teller. Today we have Wal Mart. Of course, overdevelopment in suburbia might also account for this.

You really can't find unique offerings anymore--Sulka used to have these leather jackets or I.Magnin might have special hand-made linens.

And those pedestal ashtrays, which formerly lined the corridors!

Last edited by Incroyable (2006-08-18 03:53:04)

Jukebox Babe

#3 2006-08-18 04:59:28

Tomasso

Stop it! I feel as if I'm at a wake with names such as I. Magnin, Sulka and Bonwit Teller bandied about.

#4 2006-08-18 05:03:12

Tomasso

I apologise for the outburst, the Marshall Fields debacle is still an open wound.

#5 2006-08-18 05:51:31

Mulberrywood

In some ways the internet is bringing the small retailer or artisan back to life.

Small shops did and often still do, provide a much higher level of service and as Incroyable has pointed out unique offerings. Which still do exist. For example we make a pocket square from silk that we weave ourselves in Thailand that has very tightly rolled edges that these days you would be hard-pressed to find anywhere else.

I do not blame Walmart or shopping malls for anything, it is the wish of the consumer that controls the retail world.

There is a small group of gentlemen who still enjoy the products and service of a traditional store or maker and I feel that the internet is providing a way to reach out to them.

David Hober

www.samhober.com/store

#6 2006-08-27 00:44:38

Horace

Last edited by Horace (2006-08-27 00:45:22)

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#7 2006-08-27 10:14:56

Mulberrywood

Horace,

Thank you for thinking of me. If the article gets printed please email me.

As for Walmart, I do not have any special knowledge. I do believe in the freedom of choice and most people seem to like Walmart for staples. Personally, I do not shop there, but it is not out of principle. I simply don't enjoy shopping there.

I enjoy shopping in small stores with friendly owners and staff.

As for the internet and specialty businesses, I really think that this is something important and growing.

There are the obstacles of not being able to look touch and try on, but to some extent these challenges can be overcome.

David Hober

www.samhober.com/store

#8 2006-08-31 11:32:42

Horace

#9 2006-08-31 14:36:55

Mulberrywood

" .... if others you trust like it, and you order one...."

In the old days word of mouth was literally spread from person to person. Now you may see a number of people say thats David's grenadines are nice or his construction is well done etc. and you may be tempted to buy a tie even without seeing and touching our ties first-hand. Lots of photos and information as well as swatches are also helpful.

"Same thing with other little things like grosgrain watch bands, which I've ordered on line.  Or even special Aldens.  Or hard-to-find English socks, etc. etc."

Exactly. If you live on a farm in Iowa the internet becomes even more attractive.

"I do wonder though, taking a place I like very much "Dann Online" why someone would order strictly online at the same costs as brick and mortar.  He's got a very complete collection of classic American brands and designs, and so forth, but there's nothing I can get there that I can get from a shop in town."

The answer again is the farmer in Iowa and even the busy New York executive. Sure almost anything that you can think of is available in New York - except extra time.

"Now, I'm sold on CEGO for boxers."

Carl is very friendly.

"By the way, David, how did you decide on a standard width of 3 3/4" for your ties?"

Most traditional American ties tend to be around 3 1/2" wide and many Italian ties are often 4" wide. I like a tie in the middle which is a good standard width of 3 3/4". Of course 3 3/4" is simply an average, we make our ties at any width.

David Hober

www.samhober.com/store

Board footer