You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-08 16:45:50

longwing

AHAT: A Tweed Too Blue ?

It seems I have a rare opportunity to purchase a Southwick Douglas tweed OTR.  I know you guys all think blue tweed sucks, but I don't think this is too blue, do you?

http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/ftp_only/Cx/2006c/44xl_harris_tweed_close_up.jpg

#2 2006-09-08 18:57:30

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Re: AHAT: A Tweed Too Blue ?

#3 2006-09-08 19:36:56

longwing

Thanks FNB,  This looks much less blue on my home computer.  The joys and insecurities of internet shopping.

#4 2006-09-09 00:51:28

Horace

I think it's swell man.  Can't beat it!  Looks a hell of a lot better than the Harris tweed I bought from Press last year that I have yet to have altered.  I think some of the very dark blue look a bit odd to me.  But maybe someone more sophisticated thinks differently and can pull it off. 

I've seen some bluer (or more blue??) tweeds on the Silver website that I liked too.

I've also seen some really swell olive/estate green tweeds with blue that I dig too.

AHAT gives a thumbs up.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#5 2006-09-09 12:03:32

Miles Away

I also like that very much.

The blue accent is just enough to cross that town/country divide I think -

At last a blue-ish tweed that would work as well in a country pub as a city wine bar...

A real find. Well spotted Sir.

M.

" ... Ubi bene, ibi patria, which being roughly translated means, 'Wherever there's a handout, that's for me, man.' "
Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#6 2006-09-09 12:08:26

Marc Grayson

Thumbs up!  Great cloth and very attractive color.  Doesn't even look blue to my eyes, however you can't go wrong with any Harris tweed no matter the color (even blue).

"‘The sense of being perfectly well dressed gives a feeling of inner tranquility which even religion is powerless to bestow." Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Looking good and dressing well is a necessity. Having a purpose in life is not."  Oscar Wilde

#7 2006-09-09 12:51:48

oldog/oldtrix

I like it, but I certainly would not call it blue.  It’s been more than 30 years since I purchased it, but I have owned one blue tweed jacket.  The fabric was authentic Harris in a mini check of mid blue and mid grey with a scarlet windowpane.  It was something of a hybrid as far as styling, with a slightly extended soft shoulder, suppressed waist, and flared skirt, but center vented (a deep vent at that).  The lower pockets were patch and flap and all seams were welted.  It was half lined but still warm enough for wear down to about 40 degrees F without a top coat, and even colder with a sweater vest.  I dressed it up a bit with lighter grey flannels and wool and silk knit and woven ties picking up one or more of the coat’s colors and, most frequently, spread collar royal oxford shirts in a variety of blues.  It also worked very well with pink shirts.  It was a terrific coat for traveling because, additionally, it looked right at home with jeans and a navy cashmere turtleneck.  I wore it to death and then wore it some more with beat up jeans and various knit shirts/sweaters.  I finally gave it away to a homeless shelter as it still could provide needed warmth.  Ain’t seen another true blue tweed that I cottoned to since.

Last edited by oldog/oldtrix (2006-09-09 12:53:16)

#8 2006-09-09 17:18:04

longwing

I've snatched it.  Thanks for the input.  Sorry about the blue business.  It really did look much bluer on my office computer.

#9 2006-09-10 00:38:09

Horace

Parallel to a discussion of blue tweed:  I've gotta confess that I like the "new" look of the recent Brooks catalog layout -- with the black trousers and grey PoW jackets.  Never thought I'd condone the wearing of black trou with the grey jacket, but somehow my views have changed.  At least for the moment.  (If I'm not misremembering, the look was somwhat popular for night life in the 70's and probably 60's and into the 80's)..

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

Board footer