You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-12 06:58:08

Miles Away

John Cheever style...

" Clothes were important to him, and by the end of his life he had developed an aristocratic casual style that reflected his personal horror of vanity in men. This collided with his sharp sense of the importance of appearances. He didn't like to be caught looking in a mirror, and he felt that men shouldn't think too much about their hair or their clothes. They should, nevertheless, always look terrific... Sometimes his shirts were frayed, or his sweaters out at the elbow, or his shoes down at the heel, because men didn't bother about such things. But he would never have worn a soiled shirt or gone a day without shaving - THAT would have been sloppy."

Susan Cheever remembering her father John in 'Home before Dark', Houghton Mifflin, 1984.

Very good photos in the book too - JC in BDs, Shetlands, Khakis, Penny loafers, Field watch, etc.

Best pic shows JC sitting on the dining room floor in his upstate New York home playing Backgammon with Arthur Spear wearing a very Tradly rig with a very Tradly haircut. I'm sure that Shetland is a Shaggy Dog...

(Typed in haste so you'll just have to live with any typos).

M.

" ... Ubi bene, ibi patria, which being roughly translated means, 'Wherever there's a handout, that's for me, man.' "
Alistair Cooke. 1968.

#2 2006-09-14 05:09:28

Horace

Re: John Cheever style...

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#3 2006-09-14 09:06:15

Miles Away

Re: John Cheever style...

Agreed on the Journals.
His letters are better.
Evelyn Waugh was the same - Dull diaries but very good letters.
I imagine it's because a letter has an 'audience' like a novel or short-story - It's a kind of performance. Where as most diaries, even those written with an eye to publication, seem to be more about the writer just pleasing themselves. IMHO.

" ... Ubi bene, ibi patria, which being roughly translated means, 'Wherever there's a handout, that's for me, man.' "
Alistair Cooke. 1968.

Board footer