#1 2009-07-30 06:11:36

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

"Fit" - Man's greatest enemy !!

#2 2009-07-30 06:32:45

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Re: "Fit" - Man's greatest enemy !!

l guess that looking too good can put people off because it's unrelatable. Looks like the wearer has put in alot of effort with his clothes and he is all about himself/self centered. Looking good (but not perfect) is a more relatable and relaxing look.

Then again, if you are in big business, you would want to look sharp and even intimidating at times when it counts. l've walked into the offices of some of the biggest music executives in the country (without an appointment..unheard of) when i've looked my sharpest and used the gift of the gab. lf l wasn't perfectly dressed  l wouldn't have had a hope, the secretaries would have stopped me. Look important, act intimidating (in a professional nice way) and you can get into many important people's offices. wink

Getting into very very important people's offices is always a fun challenge. My next challenge is to try and get entry into the Melbourne Club and lunch with our former Prime Ministers; it ain't gonna be easy...l will need to do my research.

Last edited by The_Shooman (2009-07-30 06:49:38)

#3 2009-07-30 06:57:31

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

It seems to have been a tenet of the RTW sack to have a pretty consistent fit. Get the fit around the shoulders, get short, regular or long, and get out. No faffing around in boutiques. Our figures are basically rectangles anyway.

Go to the High Street for a run-of-the-mill RTW suit now and sizing is all over the shop. I can't be bothered. I'm sticking to the Brooks sizes I know, and any 1960s sack with 16 1/2" shoulders. They all fit fine straight out the box. Some slimmer, some more relaxed, but they fit.

I have started wondering why men accept big honking padded shoulders and darts in jackets. They don't appear in any other articles of menswear.

#4 2009-07-30 08:14:54

Big Tony

"What sort of post-apocalyptic deathscape is this?"
"I don't want to look like a cock hungry sailor after all !!!"
"When it comes to infidelity, broken families, and reckless fatherhood, the underclass are amateurs."

#5 2009-07-30 09:04:57

Brideshead

#6 2009-07-30 09:48:53

One Trick Pony

I've never liked the look of the suits worn in the Hollywood movies of the 30s and 40s.  Those shoulders look well padded.  The ties and shoes also often leave something to be desired.  Is that the kind of look - gangster/ man on his way to the Stork Club where he's intimate with the hat-check girl/cocky reporter - that Astaire was rebelling against?  Cary Grant IMO looked far better in the 50s.

#7 2009-07-30 10:25:25

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

#8 2009-07-30 11:41:51

Big Tony

"What sort of post-apocalyptic deathscape is this?"
"I don't want to look like a cock hungry sailor after all !!!"
"When it comes to infidelity, broken families, and reckless fatherhood, the underclass are amateurs."

Board footer