You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-30 12:25:54

One Trick Pony

'Square'

This, IMO, is the way to go now - at least for a man of my age.  Much of the inspiration for this has come from reading Gibson Gardens' recent postings on haircuts, eye glasses, the sack and the distance between hem and shoe.  I'm due bi-focals next time round (I've spent most of my life reading: currently: on the GI in the European theatre of war, the American raids on Schweinfort-Regensburg in 1943), so what better than horn rims? 
I'm beginning to find a tan duffel coat and flat-fronted Haggar chinos with bucks causes more derision almost than the freaky gear we lads wore circa 1976. 

Barry Goldwater chic will rule during the autumn/winter of 2009/10.  For further inspiration, you younger men, turn to the fan photographs in Warren publications such as 'Famous Monsters of Filmland' between 1958 and 1964.  Forget the way Daniele looks: he comes from a warm climate and you cannot emulate him. 

Dave Brubeck will provide another role model.  Bill Evans was perhaps a little too cool.

#2 2009-07-30 13:19:02

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Re: 'Square'

Interesting - You're on a roll, OTP.

Does Square stay square when the Hip play with it?

#3 2009-07-30 13:24:52

One Trick Pony

In a very odd way, yes, I think it has to.  Put it this way: the Hip becomes internalised. 

I was much taken with Gibson Gardens' posting on the nature of 'cool', and thought then how 'cool' becomes internalised.  That's why it's interesting when, for instance, Chris and John have a coffee together, or John and Graham Marsh get their heads together.  Then the 'internalisation' can make itself known.  This is strictly underground stuff.  We can be kind to the curious, but won't go out of our way to enlighten the indifferent.  It's to do with what I term 'layering' - a complex and ongoing process related to what mods called 'topping up'.

#4 2009-07-30 13:28:53

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#5 2009-07-30 13:32:10

One Trick Pony

Well, I hope so. 

All the guys on here will do it instinctively.

#6 2009-07-30 13:40:33

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#7 2009-07-30 13:44:18

One Trick Pony

What I'm trying to do here is, oddly, 'de-layer', by attempting to strip away certain images: the guys leaving the Fiat factory on their scooters; Peck squiring Hepburn around Rome; the frontages of certain Soho buildings; Georgie Fame at the 'Mingo...  because these are 'elements' of Ivy...  then 'layer' anew with all the alternative images Staceyboy and I spent months discussing but subtracting, more or less, 'Take Ivy' as having oversold itself.  There's a projection back into the Truman-Eisenhower period - of course and of necessity.  Nothing novel about any of this - it's been done before - but the 're-Americanisation' of UK Ivy remains an ongoing aim...  Cheever good, Cowley better...

#8 2009-07-30 13:56:14

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Board footer