You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Chris H brings us back down to earth with a bump...

#1 2009-04-14 05:44:21

chetmiles

Chris H brings us back down to earth with a bump...

No chauvinism intended, but this post is aimed mainly at the UK contingent below the age of, say, 50. 

All respect is due to the original mods and modernists, whether they be London cabbies, heads of PR firms or whatever, who could tell us so much if ever they chose to do so.
They probably won't. 

Chris H and Kingstonian pleased me immensely on here yesterday - opened my eyes.  Also reminded me that, when they weren't having a butchers in Austins window or Cecil Gee, the old mods were finding their gear wherever they could.  Sounds like old habits die hard.  Once a mod...

#2 2009-04-15 01:53:51

Just Jim

Re: Chris H brings us back down to earth with a bump...

It's that 'magpie' thing isn't it?

The never ending selection & evaluating of everything.

#3 2009-04-15 12:42:46

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

I remember reading a Bowie interview were he talked about raiding the dustbins around Carnaby Street....

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#4 2009-04-15 13:46:51

Just Jim

Chris_H is inspirational because he spans the period from Austins to today in London and in between he's always had his eyes open to everything else that was going on too.

My best vintage Ivy comes from him and he's one of the nicest Cats you could ever hope to meet. He overlooks all my failings & often treats me as if I was normal. Top Bloke!

#5 2009-04-15 14:08:00

chetmiles

I don't know him other than through here, but he strikes me that way; definitely.

#6 2009-04-15 14:21:52

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Only know him from here, too, but if you still want candidates for the "cool list" you should put Chris on top...

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#7 2009-07-31 12:09:41

One Trick Pony

Just wanting to link this with Chris's current posting.

#8 2009-07-31 12:17:07

One Trick Pony

Only slightly off the subject, I managed to spend just £70 in J.Simons last summer.  I was carrying about £200, but wanted to go to Rays, have a look in the charity shops on the way into Camden Town, have a coffee and a Coca-Cola, then buy the family a (cheap) Italian meal at the trattoria in Parkway.  Previous years I'd have carried £500-£600 and spent every penny.  It was obvious twelve months or more ago that times were getting harder.  I had a look at a £350 seersucker suit - and looked away again.  You have to cut your coat according to your cloth, right?  Well, no: not armed with a credit card.  I was made to get rid of mine.  Don't get me wrong, she's been good about my spending and even paid off my debts.  In the end, though, enough was enough.

#9 2009-08-01 00:35:09

The Ace Face

Draped and sculpted hep cat suit - as worn by His Royal Hepness, Cab Calloway

#10 2009-08-01 01:56:40

One Trick Pony

100% sound thinking.  Ever had the County Court bailiff round?  You tell them - ever so politely - to piss off, of course.  But it's not a nice experience.

#11 2009-08-01 02:14:32

Chris_H
Ivy Original

Last edited by Chris_H (2009-08-01 02:58:16)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hardyandjohnson/

#12 2009-08-01 13:46:11

The Ace Face

One Trick Pony: I never had the County Court bailiff round, all I had was nasty bitches on the phone constantly and an inability to get a mortgage with any mortgage provider.  An ugly, sobering and utterly demeaning couple of years.  And family, all they did was stick the boot in with the rest of the clowns.  Never again.

Chris H: Looks an excellent cost effective way to dig jazz. You have to be wary, because the first generation CD's at 16bit are pretty crap.  Any remastering above 20 is generally pretty good, or any Japanese import or box set tends to be on the level.

Draped and sculpted hep cat suit - as worn by His Royal Hepness, Cab Calloway

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Chris H brings us back down to earth with a bump...

Board footer