You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-01 05:34:32

One Trick Pony

Fred, Arnold and others...

Just thinking about the penchant (nothing but a penchant) Staceyboy and I have for a certain type of golf wear.  Jim and I were discussing the budget golf jackets sold in J.Simons.  The Harrington is nothing much more or less than a golf jacket; ditto the Drizzler.  Not sure about the Anti-Freeze.  But Staceyboy and I both love Robert Bruce for Arnold Palmer wool/alpaca cardies. 

Bond fans like myself treasure the golf sequence in 'Goldfinger'.  I like Connery's sweater, even though I know it was probably acrylic. 

The funny thing is, I hate golf, tolerate Wimbledon because my wife likes it, and don't know one end of a horse from the other.  So polo's definitely out.  And yet, over the years, it's been Slazenger, FP, Lacoste, Haggar, Baracuta, McGregor, Palmer, Pringle etc etc.  As Wodehouse might have put it: a bit rummy.

#2 2009-08-01 06:57:02

Alex Roest

Re: Fred, Arnold and others...

Don't care for either golf or polo, as for tennis it's just Roland Garros and Wimbledon I tend to watch. Not a fan of cycling either BTW.

I'm partial to some Pringle stuff although I own just one V neck ( 60's repro, no logo ) and I like my Burberry golf jacket a lot. It's not exactly a secret Lacoste is my fave label. Perhaps the most interesting thing(s) I own in this respect, though, is a pair of cream golf type shoes from Walsh I bought during the sales several years ago. Very confy to wear and pretty unusual ( at least in my neck of the woods ).

#3 2009-08-01 07:38:15

Staceyboy
Ivy Archivist

http://thetownoutside.tumblr.com

#4 2009-08-01 08:06:40

Kingstonian

Proquip Goretex golf tops from the 80s were really smart tartan jackets. I would only consider tartan in a zipper jacket. Never took off as leisure wear though.

I absolutely hate long sleeved tee shirts worn inside short-sleeved shirts - a golf-fashion crime for which I am happy to blame the Americans. It reminds me of cowboys in their long johns.

#5 2009-08-03 13:01:17

SubtleCool
Ivy, but subtle with it.

Reminds me of an old Jackie Mason joke, about a Jew going skiing. Buys all the latest gear, swans around his friends house 'Whaddaya think? Huh? Beautiful, I got the shoes, the hat, the gloves, sunglasses...

Gets to the top of the slope, takes one look...'Naah'...and heads back to the chalet.

Me? Conspicuous? Lady, I'm the invisible man.

#6 2009-08-04 11:48:20

One Trick Pony

Trudging round so many charity shops, flicking through so many racks of rubbish, I'm just glad to see anything that says 'Made In England'.  If that Slazenger jumper was wool I'd have as many as I could find.  Not that many years ago English made Fred Perry tops could be picked up for under a fiver and worn for just cutting about in, with a pair of Levis and loafers; since their stupid re-branding, though...  And what next?

Board footer