You are not logged in.

#1 2024-10-07 06:46:36

AlveySinger

IVY IN THE OFFICE

I attended a client meeting last week and had to give a bit of consideration as to what to wear.

Not too formal and not too casual. I work in a creative industry and these days can get away with a bit of non-conformity.

It was with senior executives of a multi-national company who typically go for the Boss suits, dress shirts and no ties look. Not my bag but very common with the type of businesses I work with.

After careful consideration it was a slouchy olive Vetra cord suit,  suede chucka boots and an old JS shadow plaid shirt. Very different from the monochrome corporate world.

I was shocked how far business casual appears to have gone in the board room. There's defiantly a new uniform - quarter zip sweaters, fine gilets, trainer shoes in brighter colours and a few logo's on display.

It's like a shooting/sailing/ cycling hybrid that mixes a bit of Rapha, Schofel and Bally.

My Vetra suit bizarrely looked like the smarter option.

It left me wondering how far business casual will now go.

#2 2024-10-08 03:59:21

FlatSixC

Re: IVY IN THE OFFICE

Well done Alvey, on flying the flag for individuality and making a statement about your own ideas. What sort of feedback do you get from the quarter zip squad? When I wore smart Ivy at work the usual remark was ‘oh you’re looking very dapper’ which always seemed like a feintly mocking backhanded compliment.

I’ve noticed guys on the train in bad suits, wearing gilets and quarter zips underneath. A truly awful look that points to … I don’t know what? Lack of sartorial awareness, following the herd, feeling silly wearing a coat? Looking on, as a retired outsider, it appears that the ever extending weekend is vying for time with the ever shortening working week. It as if the weekend look is bleeding into the work time look. There are calls for a national four day working week to become the norm (that’ll be great for our struggling economy).

I read that Boss designed uniforms for the SS in the 1930s - another reason to avoid their bland, boring tat.

#3 2024-10-08 04:22:49

An Unseen Scene

I went independent in May and now spread time between client sites, home office and sector events.

Business attire is going casual incredibly quickly and it's a badge of pride for founders to look anti-business dress now.

I haven't had to wear formal creased trousers in a few years and not had a tie on since Covid.

I am generally regarded as smart in chinos/drill jeans/cords, button down shirt, good shoes and a sport jacket or blazer.  Plus a mac of various weights and in Autumn a thin silk/linen scarf when travelling (and of course heavier weight scarves in winter).

Two Marketing women on a stand a couple of weeks ago remarked how smart I was at an event and took pictures of us together. That was blue Peter Christian drill jeans, a made in Italy silk 3/2 roll herringbone slack jacket from RL, RL no logo white poplin button down and Loake oxblood derby shoes.  I didn't see many people in formal shoes at all!

I wear a lot of RL as it fits my shape perfectly (Irish build, broad but not tall).

I am at quite an old school event tomorrow and I suspect that will have a few more suits, but I'll continue in a slightly more Autumnal version of the above.  Magee are doing some wonderful jackets in their own fabric (amongst the more generic ones) that fit me like a glove, so I have been picking a couple up each season. While not precisely Ivy, mixed with a good OCBD it's a good look for me.

Interestingly at LinkedIn where I am very active as part of my work, I am receiving adverts there for Church's, Dunhill and others as they try to reach their next customer base.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2024-10-08 04:51:15)

#4 2024-10-08 05:13:50

Runninggeez

Business casual based on our old CEO who took early retirement a few years back, was Gant OCBD's in blue or white, awful looking jeans On Running training shoes and bum freezer sports jackets. The old CFO was Gant man BD's, chinos, and half zips with R M Williams dealer boots.

#5 2024-10-09 07:47:31

AlveySinger

You have to establish your own base line. An easy win these days is to wear a sports jacket. It elevates your look in a lot of scenarios. Shoes, as opposed to trainers, also helps.

I've never been a fan of plain open neck shirts and dark suits as favoured by the G8 leaders. It doesn't look casual. It simply looks contrived. "Hey look at me, no tie, I'm a man of the people."

Personally, I have to be mindful that as I've got older (read fatter) an open neck shirt does me no favours - hence the need to wear buttoned up shirts, merino polo's and mock-necks.

#6 2024-10-09 10:29:03

Kingston1an

Folk carrying things with shoulder packs destroys jackets.

I did notice at a wine bar near Fenchurch Street that despite not wearing a suit I would have still been smart enough for most offices,watching the passers by dress.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#7 2024-10-09 12:00:00

An Unseen Scene

How else are we meant to carry things without shoulder damage?
I carry laptop, notebooks, water, lunch, coffee, headphones etc.
A backpack is the right practical choice, I have tried them all and consulted a physio,

It has not hurt a single jacket of mine in decades

#8 2024-10-09 15:08:49

Kingston1an

Satchels are for young schoolboys. They look shit too.

I mostly left the laptop at work. I never carried stuff like headphones coffee etc etc.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#9 2024-10-10 02:57:34

An Unseen Scene

I'm moving around a lot between client offices, industry bodies, chats over coffee etc - so need to take it all with me each time I'm not working from home.

I would never wear leather straps or anything cutting over a jacket, that would damage the fabric.
There are newer softer but strong fabrics used in backpacks these days that avoid any damage.

While asthetically I'd prefer not to have a backpack on, practically there isn't really any other viable alternative without incurring shoulder damager in the long term. When I finally saw a physio, having to carry around laptops, chargers etc had damaged my shoulder and was recommended strongly to use backpacks to distribute the weight.

#10 2024-10-10 09:49:43

AlveySinger

I used to think back packs were for arseholes who would bang into you on the tube and in shops. Harrods actually makes the tourists carry them. I scoffed at them. The preserve of children.

Then Graham Marsh mentioned EastPack. I bought one relatively cheaply. Suddenly I discovered the joy of having my hands free to indulge in coffee drinking, browsing through cd racks and picking up magazines at news stands - without the worry where to put my expensive leather case. I was a liberated man.

I now switch between my bags dependant upon how I'm travelling and who I'm seeing. I love them both.

#11 2024-10-11 02:43:03

Kingston1an

I don't like cases with wheels either particularly the small ones. I will admit to having a large ski bag with wheels but I am not using it constantly.

The old look Ivy or otherwise was a briefcase or attaché case carried under the arm. Nowadays you see suits modelled by people with women's shopping bags renamed as tote bags to take the curse off them.

In American films shopping was in brown paper bags with no handles. The implication being they were not being carried far and carrying stuff was a bad look unless it was sporting equipment.

#12 2024-10-11 04:29:47

Tomiskinky

You are allowed to move with the times, what's wrong with a tote bag?

LL Bean have been making theirs since 1944 originally for transporting ice from car to freezer, then, during the 60s it became more fashionable (nothing wrong with fashion in the right context) and became used for ship to shore, useful given Tote is a colloquial term that means ‘to carry a heavy load’.

And why carry a heavy load suitcase, when wheels make life a little easier. Walking around the shops with would be ridiculous – less so if travelling away for a few weeks.

It's easy to scoff and reminisce over the past, back then people didn't have bunches of keys, multiple cards, phones and other accessories – yes brown paper bags look great, but how many of those films show the bag splitting for comedic or stressful effect – you don't get that with a tote, do ya.

#13 2024-10-11 05:07:39

Kingston1an

'what' wrong with a tote bag?'  It looks terrible unless you were a housewife in the 1960s'.

It's not a fashion accessory. There is no cachet carrying around a large bag advertising 'Daunt books'

'bunches of keys, multiple cards,phones and other accessories ' can all go in pockets or a wallet.

#14 2024-10-11 05:08:53

Kingston1an

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13158133/london-fashion-daunt-books-tote-bag-jodie-comer.html

#15 2024-10-11 08:31:41

AndyV

Childish I know but it still makes me chuckle when I can only see the UNT on the said tote bags that half of London appear to be carrying.

Last edited by AndyV (2024-10-11 08:32:02)

#16 2024-10-11 08:56:50

Tomiskinky

Stop reading the DM for a start if that's your reference for practical accessories in the modern world. Does it affect your male sensibility so much you feel anyone carrying a bag has a deep seated desire to be a 60s housewife, what a strange take on something as simple as a heavy canvas bag which you can use to transport items you have bought, not so much a 'fashion accessory' as you put it.

My chunky bunch of keys has 2 entry fobs, 2 bike lock keys, garage and front door keys, Scooter keys, they don't exactly fit into my pocket, especially a trouser pocket, my phone also whilst not super sized is bigger than most pockets, my wallet however fits fine.

Nice post on traditional english bags, scroll down for the tote-esq options, https://dieworkwear.com/2013/11/01/chapmans-traditional-english-bags/

#17 2024-10-12 02:30:22

Kingston1an

'Simple bags', as you describe them, are everywhere now. They have replaced drinks, pipes, cigarettes in fashion shots.

This place is about how things look - so bags can be criticised on that basis.

I read most papers, via a paywall remover. That includes The Grauniad, if you are dead set against The Mail( it ties in with your previous stance on Spoons)

#18 2024-10-14 08:10:30

Yuca

Tote bags are a classic. I just checked Bean and, unlike most if not all of their clothes nowadays, the totes look amazing and are even still made in Maine. I will probably order one, once I've decided on size and handle length.

I'm not keen on the aesthetic of backpacks over a jacket, but anything is better than a back injury, which should be avoided at all costs. The Eastpack mentioned earlier certainly looks better than most backpacks.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#19 2024-10-14 15:30:27

AlveySinger

This Summer I've been carting my daughter around various Universities. Must admit it's been fun as I've always added a good lunch and a half bot into the itinerary.

On each visit the Uni gives away a tote bag filled with goodies - pens, note books and post-it notes. Add to this my daughter already has a collection of totes from famous bookshops - The Strand, Shakespeare and Co, Hatchards,etc

The net result is the Singer household is now awash with bags. I'm running out of uses for them

#20 2024-10-15 03:38:45

Tomiskinky

Yuca, I've been tempted too but I will have to wear my others out first – classic blue would be my go to I think.

My stance on 'spoons is down to Tim Martins business ethics and how he treated his staff. Prior to that I rather enjoyed a drink in many of the fine buildings he's transformed into drinking parlours – but nowadays I'll support all those independents struggling in the industry over someone like that.

#21 Yesterday 05:55:57

An Unseen Scene

My hunt for a non-vintage brown herringbone Ivy/sack jacket proved fruitless if I didn't want spend £1200 at either Ralph Lauren or Drakes (or import).

I'm done with eBay for jackets now unless they are new and not importing any more. There has been nothing at Marrkt, John Simons, Blues etc. The H&J one Chris offered was sadly too small (dash it!).

Cordings and others all look too 'English Traditional'. Maybe JS has a batch incoming but it's starting to feel too late at full price for this season unless they arrive within a month or so (but they'll sell out anyway).

I'm not a purist at this stage, so have chosen this jacket which looks decent, is soft shoulder and at a very reasonable price: https://www.campbellsofbeauly.com/shop/house-jacket-brown-herringbone-tweed/

I'll see if it fits without too substantive changes on arrival, or it will be on the way back.  If anyone spots a dark brown herringbone jacket, feel free to post up in case this one isn't right.

I'm sure I had a brown herringbone sack somewhere in the house but not in the attic rails, any bedroom so it must of either been too small eventually or had problems and been moved on. I really should of taken photos of all my jackets in the past. Has anyone else?

I cannot see me buying many more formal jackets now, I'm often the only person around in one as other have said here too.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (Yesterday 06:16:48)

#22 Yesterday 12:02:28

Staxfan

What about the Kamakura  brown jackets at all blues? Maybe not herringbone ....

#23 Yesterday 12:30:51

An Unseen Scene

A good option but not available there in my size. Thanks.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (Yesterday 12:52:52)

#24 Yesterday 14:51:05

AlveySinger

JS jackets and suits will shortly be arriving.
My understanding is that they have switched some manufacturing to someone up north. Can’t remember the name but sizeable.
New jackets will be buggy lined as opposed to Keydge shirt style.
There will be hopsack and tweed options.
There’s cord too but not sure if buggy lined.
This is all from a conversation with Sean at the tail end of last month so might have changed

Last edited by AlveySinger (Yesterday 14:51:35)

Board footer