You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » PICTURES OF THE JOHN SIMONS APPAREL COMPANY CHINOS...

#101 2014-03-25 07:33:18

Worried Man

Re: PICTURES OF THE JOHN SIMONS APPAREL COMPANY CHINOS...

That guy needs to take care of the uni-brow.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#102 2014-03-25 12:31:40

Axelist
Talker of the talk, walker of the walk.

And I just saw that even more shameless thread in a part of this forum where I only go to get upset.

Just to get a repp..

#103 2014-03-29 12:49:08

Oliver

They look kosher to me, except for the rise which is difficult to discern but looks a bit shoddy. On seam pockets would have been nice, but otherwise I like the cut. I could do better for the price though.

#104 2014-03-29 13:01:44

Oliver

These are a bit more affordable

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-60s-Penneys-BIG-MAC-Durable-Press-Khaki-Chino-Military-Work-Pants-33x33-/221334099861?

#105 2014-04-17 06:38:59

The Dean

Hi all

Tried the new JS Khakis on yesterday. They are, in the man himself's words, 'a big pair of trousers'. Modelled on more of a 1940s cut than previous years.

Construction, rise, other details all fine, just a bit different to previous offerings. Still trying to make my mind up.

The 5 pocket trousers in light beige and navy on the other hand are very nice.

#106 2014-04-17 07:46:52

Axelist

Thank you very much for sharing your first hand experience. It's what been guessed by the measurements.

So, for me the quest goes on. "Make or buy"? Seems that "make" is becoming more and more likely.

Just to get a repp..

#107 2014-05-03 03:58:36

Yuca

I swore to myself I would never buy from JS again, based on previous purchases. Yet talk of a 1940s cut made by Hertling inspired me to give them the benefit of the doubt. I must say, there is some serious disinformation in this thread. The cut: above the knee is 1950s style, and below the knee is 1960s style (to the extent that I probably wouldn't be able to get away with giving them turn ups/cuffs). The end result is not 50s or 60s or ivy, it's the dreaded medieval jodhpur style. I know Jimmy Smith did a great version of Greensleeves, but that's no excuse.

Also, these trousers are made in China. When I'm paying a ton (plus another tenner for shipping, then I've got to pay someone to turn them up as these are far too long for anyone), I expect better.

On saying that, the rise is wonderful, the cloth is nice, and perhaps the diffference between the top half and bottom half is not impossible to reconcile. In other words, I think I could get away with wearing them, but it would have to be in an uncuffed Take Ivy style. Personally I prefer a cuffed 50s or earlier style. Also they appear better made than the last pair of JS chinos I bought (many years ago) which were made in Italy by DNA Groove (and were shoddy).

Lack of alternatives mean I may keep them, however I doubt I will.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#108 2014-05-03 05:06:33

Tomiskinky

I don't think the last lot were made BY DNA Groove, I think Claudio just helped with the sourcing and links to manufacturing from his suppliers.
At least that is what I understand from those old posts, same with the early JS shirts.

#109 2014-05-03 07:33:05

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#110 2014-05-03 08:17:46

Yuca

The O'C's are more 40s than 50s. Rise and all else is great, but on they are seriously voluminous on the thighs. I may resist getting them tapered, particularly as I do occasionally hang out with 40s reenacters (imo they're not half as obsessive as ivyists), but they are a bit shapeless. Superb otherwise though - they've just got them in my size in white, which I'm also tempted by.

The JSA are similar in terms of rise and cloth. On the thigh the JS are better as they're more 50s than 40s, but the JS are tapered which ruins them.

N.B. I don't actually know if 40s chinos were baggy.

#111 2014-05-03 08:56:01

The Woolster
Ivy Antenna

Thanks Yuca, this was a timely review as I was just about to purchase them myself. I like how they look on Guy, but the made in China bit definitely puts me off.

#112 2014-05-03 10:39:21

Chet

Do you know what a Palmist once said to me? She said: will you let go!
Vivian Stanshall

#113 2014-05-03 10:40:57

Chet

Do you know what a Palmist once said to me? She said: will you let go!
Vivian Stanshall

#114 2014-05-03 12:51:18

Yuca

#115 2014-05-03 12:53:19

Yuca

#116 2014-05-03 13:12:29

Sid Ford

We really need a pic of you in the Yuca before you return them

#117 2014-05-03 13:44:08

Yuca

They are so long that when I pin them up to approx the right length, all the extra cloth distorts them. Obviously if I had them shortened then that cloth would be chopped off, but the extra cloth means I cannot get an exact idea of what they would look like were I to keep them. As I said earlier they are not a complete disaster, however as they have a jodhpur effect and are too tapered for cuffs (the latter is probably not a problem for many on here) I will (probably) return.

Nonethless they could work for someone else.

#118 2014-05-03 15:24:04

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Yuca - How do we know they are made in China?

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#119 2014-05-03 15:47:51

Bop

They're made in Hong Kong, China.

#120 2014-05-04 02:52:24

Yuca

Label states: Made in China

#121 2014-05-04 02:54:50

Yuca

If all else were good I could live with made in China, even at that price, simply due to the scarcity of decent chinos. (The scarcity depends on how fussy one is; I consider a decent rise, amongst other things, essential. I can wear LE traditional fit for work, but they're not really the look I want.)

Last edited by Yuca (2014-05-04 03:13:56)

#122 2014-05-04 03:12:50

Axelist

Thank you, guys. It's a pity, but I came to the conclusion that ordering one of those would be too much of a risk for me. I started first talks about a chino being copied. We'll see how this turns out.

Meanwhile, Ill check out Muji again. Last year, I bought some of their chinos and like them for everyday use and abuse. Most on here will find the material skimpy, Muji limby and everything, but they meet a lot of my requirements.

*tears shirt apart and bears chest: "Here, grenadeers!*

http://www.muji.de/de/store/goods/4549337128484

Just to get a repp..

#123 2014-05-04 03:53:59

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#124 2014-05-04 04:08:36

Yuca

#125 2014-05-04 04:19:50

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Most of my purchases from the JSA label has been good, the blue oxford with the patch pocket is a definite winner, but he did have a batch where the cuff size and arm length was a tad tight and short. The American made chinos from last year were great, I regret only purchasing one pair.

I use to get hung-up on Chinese manufacturing content and particulalry the CE logo that masquerades as the European CE origin logo, but a lot of things we buy have Chinese items inside from computers to cars. Even my Shurons are made in China. Although I am totally against the strategic asset loss of the means of production, particularly as we seem intent on reignating the cold war, I am no longer not going to pretend to make a moral choice by not buying a Keydge jacket that has been made in China, whilst my computer and car is full of Chinese sourced equipment.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » PICTURES OF THE JOHN SIMONS APPAREL COMPANY CHINOS...

Board footer